At Tail Wag headquarters we are huge fans of Coconut oil and the benefits it brings for both humans and fur babies. Coconut oil is a "pawesome" product to add to your dog’s diet offering a vast amount of health advantages, and of course, a super fresh and fruity smell.
Here are 10 reasons why coconut oil is beneficial for your pup:
1) If you have a Westie, like we do, or a dog who is prone to skin allergies or itching, coconut oil is a great natural remedy. When applied to the skin it clears up eczema, flea allergies, dermatitis and any kind of itchy condition your pooch may be experiencing.
2) When you apply coconut oil externally (directly on the skin) it will help heal any kind of wounds, scratches, bites or stings.
3) You can add coconut oil to your dog’s shampoo and you will notice their fur become glossier and healthier. It also helps combat the typical doggy smell, leaving your pet with a natural and lovely odor. It can be used to heal irritated and inflamed paws, which is extremely helpful during the summer.
4) Brushing your best friend's teeth with coconut oil, helps eliminate the odor and the famous “doggy breath”. It’s chemical free and pups love the taste – making the task of teeth brushing much more pleasant.
5) Coconut oil is a superfood, so adding it to your dog’s diet will be extremely advantageous. It helps with the digestive system, increases nutrient absorption and energy, helps prevent or control diabetes and has powerful antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal agents. It also helps soothe arthritis pain in older dogs.
If you decide to add coconut oil to your dog’s diet you must do so gradually. You should start with a ¼ of a teaspoon a day for puppies and small dogs and a teaspoon for bigger dogs. As they adapt you can start offering small dogs a full teaspoon and big dogs a full spoon. Also keep in mind that you should be giving your dog organic coconut oil, with no additives or chemicals.
Always talk to a vet before treating your pup with a natural remedy.
Oh, and to end, here's a coconut joke:
Why didn't the coconuts go to the ballet?
They were afraid of the nutcracker.